Friday, October 14, 2011

I am beaded


Today is my Birthday ..for some reason I feel melancholy . Its one thing squandering money ..you can always make more money , but squandering time ? that seems much different. Even in my most optimistic moments I realize there are far more years behind me , than I can imagine in front of me .

Lori woke me up today , with a big happy birthday and a kiss , a wonderful start to the day ! Its Friday and we both teach at a local Christian school . Lori , teaches theater and drama to grade school and middle school children , and speech to the High School kids. I teach Photography to High School and middle school . Lori and I also team teach the High School theater class. While at school my daughter called and wished me happy Birthday , Lori read to me the scores of Happy Birthday salutations on face book .

Twice today Lori had her class poke their heads in my classroom and wish me happy birthday. Lori is great with that sort of stuff , later today she has organized a get together with many of our friends at the local Steak and Shake . She also insisted I slip away for a little bit and visit one of our local parks that is Hosting an Native American Pow Wow .

Im just back from that event , I had hoped to catch some of the dancing , but that will be latter..I wandered around the grounds , listened to some " new " Native American music ..didn't like it much. Met an interesting man in one of the craft booths . Seems he had been to the Sisters Quilt show , and had some interesting stories about some of the people I found interesting in Sisters. Small world .

I left the pow wow and took a short trip into the woods neighboring the Pow Wow Grounds ...while chasing shadows and light in the forest I could hear the sound of Native American flute music in the distance ..I Liked that .

IN the parking lot I ran across one of the park rangers ..he thought I was trying to photograph some deer , looked a little puzzled when I told Him I was stalking light instead . He offered a suggestion , apparently not far from us there was an Oak tree that was struck by lightning a few months ago . He thought I might enjoy shooting that ...Gave me directions , but I could not find it . Found the light dancing on leaves instead .

That's the way it goes ....you seek one thing you find another . You think you are alone , and you find you have walked the same roads stared at the same people with another . YOU wake up to God's greatest gift for ,you singin happy birthday ..you teach others what you know , and you spend a few wonderful minutes with friends and Family reminding you the years aren't wasted , you have value in Him , and He is pleased to share it with others ...

I guess we are like a beaded basket , blowing in the wind ..waiting to be taken home . We have the appearance of being solid , but a carefully look shows us to be many parts , carefully put together , a work
of art in the Master Craftsman hands .

Guess when I think of all this I realize I am not so melancholy after all...the reality is I am a blessed man !

No comments:

Post a Comment